Go Back   WhatIsMyIP.comŽ Forum > IP and Network Questions > Networking Questions

Notices

Networking Questions Any questions about network setup, management, etc. should be posted here.

Closed Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 10:53 AM   #1
Baralis

Baralis is on a distinguished road
Default Need help with router please.

I am trying to run a game server and when using my router out side connections have been unable to connect. When I removed my router and directly connected my PC to the internet they were able to connect fine. This leaves me with the belief that it has to by my router.

I have my port forwarded and I am able to connect using my external IP when it is so. When I do not have it forwarded I am unable to connect using my external IP. It is strange to me that it seems to work correctly for me but for no one else ( I have 6 people from 6 different locations helping me to test).

I have also set my pc up as DMZ to see if the router's firewall may be the issue. Again I can connect fine from my external IP even without port forwarding if DMZ is enabled but no one else can.

I have been at this for 3 days now and would appreciate any help you could offer.

Thank you!
Old 09-29-2011, 12:56 PM   #2
wimiadmin
Administrator

wimiadmin is a splendid one to beholdwimiadmin is a splendid one to beholdwimiadmin is a splendid one to beholdwimiadmin is a splendid one to beholdwimiadmin is a splendid one to beholdwimiadmin is a splendid one to beholdwimiadmin is a splendid one to behold

When you connect using your external IP are you on your network? If so, then that's why you can connect...technically, your connection is not leaving your network therefore not really testing the external IP connect attempt.

Your method of troubleshooting is spot on. With the information you've provided, we can determine that it is your router.

When forwarding the port in the router, are you ensuring both UDP and TCP are enabled for the connection.

Are you only forwarding 1 port? Sometimes there are alternate ports that need to forward as well.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:57 PM   #3
Baralis

Baralis is on a distinguished road

Thank you for your assistance wimiadmin. I have solved my issue thanks to you. I needed to forward an additional port that I was unaware of.

I have learned and important lesson in all of this. I dislike networking .

Thanks again!
Old 09-29-2011, 03:08 PM   #4
wimiadmin
Administrator

wimiadmin is a splendid one to beholdwimiadmin is a splendid one to beholdwimiadmin is a splendid one to beholdwimiadmin is a splendid one to beholdwimiadmin is a splendid one to beholdwimiadmin is a splendid one to beholdwimiadmin is a splendid one to behold

Glad you got it resolved.

Remember.....networking is fun.
Closed Thread