Go Back   WhatIsMyIP.comŽ Forum > How do I... > Change My IP Address

Notices

Change My IP Address Tips on how to change your IP address

Closed Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 03:18 AM   #1
Anima

Anima is on a distinguished road
Default How to change IP on wireless network?

Hello,

I would like to change my IP address.

My computer is automatically connected to a wireless network (administration by the hotel building) and so I don't have access to the router.

==

The command ipconfig/all gives:

IP Routing Enabled: No
WINS Proxy Enabled: No
Dhcp Enabled: Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled: Yes
IP Address: ....155
DHCP Server: ....237
Lease Obtained: 1/6/2009
Lease Expires: 1/7/2009 (1 day lease)

the IP address from whatismyip.com is: ....124

==

I have tried the following:

command prompt, ipconfig/release, ipconfig/renew protocol

changing the 'IP/TCP' in Properties for the wireless connection protocol

switch wireless off/on on the computer, disable/reenable connection, and 'repair' for the connection

connecting to another wireless network then reconnecting to the primary one

===

But the IP address is still ....124

===

How can the IP address be changed?

Is there any service that can do this?

Thanks in advance for your help!!
Old 01-06-2009, 10:19 AM   #2
AboveTheLogic
Super Moderator

AboveTheLogic is a glorious beacon of lightAboveTheLogic is a glorious beacon of lightAboveTheLogic is a glorious beacon of lightAboveTheLogic is a glorious beacon of lightAboveTheLogic is a glorious beacon of light

im betting the 155 IP is your local IP (192.168.1.155 or something like that)

the 124 IP is your external IP (which is odd because the IP you posted from does not end in 124, I guess you posted from somewhere else)

you can't change your external IP by doing the ipconfig/release or renew command, at best that will change your local IP

please read the articles linked in my signature below, that might shed some light for you

I dont think you will be able to change your external (Internet) IP without access to the router config
Old 01-15-2009, 12:54 AM   #3
Anima

Thanks for your reply.

I am posting from the same computer which would like to change the IP.

It seems also that the IP has stayed with this computer, even through travel and different places and networks, etc.

Is there such thing as a computer-specific IP? It seems that this IP is not changing, even when networks are changed.

Is there any service or programmer hire that can help with this?
(There definitely should be one!! Maybe people can post services for hire in a marketplace section of the forum?)

Thanks again!!
Old 01-15-2009, 01:47 AM   #4
AboveTheLogic
Super Moderator

AboveTheLogic is a glorious beacon of lightAboveTheLogic is a glorious beacon of lightAboveTheLogic is a glorious beacon of lightAboveTheLogic is a glorious beacon of lightAboveTheLogic is a glorious beacon of light

the IP when you go to whatismyip.com isnt changing when you go to another location?

is this a company computer?
Old 01-15-2009, 03:09 AM   #5
Anima

I haven't checked the IP in each location to be certain, but it looks like the same sites have stored information based on IP address (not the browser's cache or cookies since those are cleared) that is recognizing the computer, even when have gone between locations.

This is a personal computer.

Last edited by Anima; 01-15-2009 at 05:50 AM.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:24 AM   #6
AboveTheLogic
Super Moderator

the only scenario I've seen that a computer in different locations would be recognized by the same IP is if it is always connected through a proxy and/or VPN

if you don't do that (if you can just plug in and surf the web) then it is not likely that you are being ID'd by the same Internet IP from other locations
Old 01-15-2009, 12:25 PM   #7
wimiadmin
Administrator

wimiadmin is a splendid one to beholdwimiadmin is a splendid one to beholdwimiadmin is a splendid one to beholdwimiadmin is a splendid one to beholdwimiadmin is a splendid one to beholdwimiadmin is a splendid one to beholdwimiadmin is a splendid one to behold

I find that a little odd that your computer has the same IP no matter where you go.

How are you displaying the IP to determine that it's the same no matter where you are?

My first thought is that your wired nic has been assigned a static IP and if you're doing an ipconfig /all in DOS then you'll see the same IP each and every time.....even though it's not a factor since you're connecting wirelessly.

My second thought is that you've assigned your wireless card a static IP and you've just been lucky that each wireless network you attach to uses the same settings.....which is not uncommon. 192.168.1.x is a very common setting at hotels and other wireless networks.

Just to clarify.....when you connect wirelessly, you're using the hotel wireless or cafe wireless.....and NOT a mobile wireless provider.

Also....want to make sure that when you connect at an alternate location that it's not the 1st floor vs. the 10th floor of the same hotel.....of the cafe in the same hotel.

This one has me intrigued.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:34 PM   #8
wimiadmin
Administrator

wimiadmin is a splendid one to beholdwimiadmin is a splendid one to beholdwimiadmin is a splendid one to beholdwimiadmin is a splendid one to beholdwimiadmin is a splendid one to beholdwimiadmin is a splendid one to beholdwimiadmin is a splendid one to behold

Here's an interesting theory.

The IP that you used to post shows that it belongs to an ISP and not a hotel.

What if you go to an alternate location and connect and that wireless network is serviced by the same ISP. The ISP has your mac address from your previous connection in their DHCP so you get the same IP.

It would be kind of crazy if that were the case that you're getting a public IP assigned directly to you vs. a 192.168.x.x type address.

But.....it would make sense that the ISP is servicing both locations.....providing both locations are in the same general geographical area.

The 155 IP address that you refer to....can you give us the first octet of that address? Is it the same as the IP that you're using to post?
Old 01-16-2009, 12:10 AM   #9
Anima

Yes, all of these posts are from the same computer and connection that would like to change the IP.

The different locations are both within the same city, and other cities in the country. It is possible that the locations in the city have the same ISP, but I am sure that it was connected to a different ISP in other cities.

The connection is to the wireless networks provided by each location's ISP.

It is not using a proxy server, and not on a mobile wireless connection.

more from ipconfig/all:

IP Configuration
Host Name: (computer name)
IP Routing Enabled: no
IP Address: 172.20.0.155
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 172.20.0.1
DHCP Server: 172.20.0.1
DNS Servers: 203.146.237.237

when do ipconfig/release and ipconfig/renew,
the same IP set is given (IP Address, Subnet Mask, and Default Gateway)

====

So, I wonder if the same IP is being assigned to the computer, if there is any way to change or release/renew it?
Old 01-16-2009, 12:45 AM   #10
wimiadmin
Administrator

The 172.20.0.155 is an internal/private IP much like 192.168.x.x.

From the first post, DHCP is set to Yes meaning your network card grabs an IP each time it connects and is not set to static. However, the IP that you're posting from is controlled by the hotel so no chance of changing that one probably.

The 172.20.0.155 IP can be changed.

When you do an ipconfig /all one of the lines returned shows the lease expiration date. Wait until that date/time passes, then do an ipconfig /release - ipconfig /renew and see if you get a new IP. If not, then the DHCP server assigning the IPs has your mac locked in and assigns the same IP.

Alternately, if you could borrow a USB wireless card, disable your onboard wireless and see what IP you get with the borrowed one.
Old 01-16-2009, 03:02 AM   #11
Anima

Ok. I did try the ipconfig/release and renew, after the IP had expired, but it assigned the same ones again,
...155 shown on ipconfig/all and
...124 shown on WhatismyIP

I wonder which one websites with stored information are registering, I think it's probably the ...124 IP
Old 01-16-2009, 03:09 AM   #12
wimiadmin
Administrator

Yes...the .124 is your external IP....the one the world sees and servers record.

However, the IP you're posting from ends in .252.

The .252 IP could possibly be a proxy IP. The WIMI home page shows your real IP even if you're behind a proxy.

I'm not sure what coding the forum uses to detect your IP.
Old 01-16-2009, 05:45 AM   #13
Anima

Somehow, the IP detected is different from different IP detection sites

Although the browser is not actively connected to a proxy server, it looks like somewhere it might be connected to one

whatismyip.com gives ...124

whatismyipaddress.com gives

Proxy Server Detected!
(proxy test results)
Proxy Server IP address: ...252
Proxy Server Details: ...252
Proxy Reports IP as: ...124
(Unable to confirm.)

a few other IP check sites give ...245

all of which are different from the IPs given by ipconfig/all

====

So, it seems there might not be a way available right now to change the IP in this location?
Old 01-16-2009, 01:21 PM   #14
AboveTheLogic
Super Moderator

I wonder if you have some sort of malware messing with your connections...
Old 01-17-2009, 03:27 AM   #15
Anima

Hmm, I wouldn't think so, as there doesn't seem to be anything actively interfering with the computer.

Is there a way to check?
Old 01-17-2009, 11:21 AM   #16
wimiadmin
Administrator

Adaware is good. You can find it at www.lavasoft.com and it's free.

MalwareBytes is also good....and it's also free.
Old 01-18-2009, 02:59 AM   #17
Anima

Okay, I did the AdAware scan, and it did not find anything.

Also, there is security software on the computer already, and it has not detected anything in the past year.

So, the computer does not have ad or malware on it.

Maybe the IP is being set this way because it is a foreign ISP? (Currently in Asia)

Maybe ISPs here behave differently and showing several different static IPs, than those in the US or Europe that might renew more frequently?
Old 01-18-2009, 02:43 PM   #18
wimiadmin
Administrator

This could be something to do with the ISP being in Asia.

ISP's in some countries are limited to the amount of bandwidth they are alloted. In order for them to effectively control that bandwidth, they force their users through a proxy. In some cases, like China, the government forces the users to go through a proxy....but for other reasons than controlling the bandwidth.

I don't know that there's a solution to your problem.

You could try a different wireless card as mentioned before. The different card will have a different MAC address and be "new" to the network and therefore should get a new IP.

Good luck!

Last edited by wimiadmin; 01-18-2009 at 02:46 PM.
Closed Thread