Go Back   WhatIsMyIP.comŽ Forum > How do I... > Change My IP Address

Notices

Change My IP Address Tips on how to change your IP address

Closed Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 01:53 AM   #1
OfficialGenius

OfficialGenius is on a distinguished road
Default How do you change your IP address under Optimum Online?-PLEASE HELP!

ISP: Optimum Online
I use Cable.

I have 2 laptops, 1 apple and 1 windows VISTA along with an apple airport/router for a wireless connection. Everything was installed from the MAIN laptop which is the Apple-Mac.

How can I change my IP address?

UPDATE: I did hear about turning off your modem for 48 hours and turning it back on but that's IF your connected from the modem. I'm connected wireless using a MAC/Apple airport/router. They also told me another way is to get a new modem box since that will give you a different MAC address but the question is will that give me a different IP address while I'm still connected wireless to the same router?

Thank You
Old 08-05-2009, 04:38 PM   #2
wimiadmin
Administrator

wimiadmin is a splendid one to beholdwimiadmin is a splendid one to beholdwimiadmin is a splendid one to beholdwimiadmin is a splendid one to beholdwimiadmin is a splendid one to beholdwimiadmin is a splendid one to beholdwimiadmin is a splendid one to behold

It really depends on how Optimum assigns their IP addresses. If they assign them by MAC, then getting a new MAC should get you a new IP. However, if they assign based on the MAC that's assigned to the cable modem then no matter what devices you change, until you change the modem, your IP will probably remain the same.
Old 08-05-2009, 05:02 PM   #3
OfficialGenius

Thanks! This is what my friend told me so what do you think?

If you can get a new IP by unplugging for 48 hours, it means you are dynamic. Which means you go into your router setup and find the WAN MAC address. Change the very last 2 pairs. Save the change. Reboot the MODEM. Not the router. NEW IP!

Since apple is a nearly non-existent platform, hardly anyone knows how to tweak or adjust them. Just not enough units for hackers to bother with. You find your WAN MAC, and you are good to go.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:52 AM   #4
wimiadmin
Administrator

wimiadmin is a splendid one to beholdwimiadmin is a splendid one to beholdwimiadmin is a splendid one to beholdwimiadmin is a splendid one to beholdwimiadmin is a splendid one to beholdwimiadmin is a splendid one to beholdwimiadmin is a splendid one to behold

Yes...you are correct. By changing the MAC address, your ISP will most likely see you as a "new" user and assign a new IP.
Old 08-07-2009, 02:26 PM   #5
OfficialGenius

I haven't messed around with it since I don't want to mess up anything but here are my options

Last edited by wimiadmin; 07-19-2017 at 02:18 PM.
Old 08-07-2009, 02:38 PM   #6
wimiadmin
Administrator

I don't see any options that will allow you to edit the mac address. I'm not surprised really.....as a mac address is sort of hard coded to each network device and not dynamic like an IP address is.
Closed Thread