Go Back   WhatIsMyIP.com® Forum > How do I... > Change My IP Address

Notices

Change My IP Address Tips on how to change your IP address

Closed Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 02:37 PM   #1
td.software

td.software is on a distinguished road
Default How do I change my IP Address (mobile vs. at home)?

Hi,

I'm new to this so I'm sorry if I'm asking redundant questions. I did try and look through the forums to find answers, first, but couldn't so I figured I'd post.

I know that IP spoofing exists but I don't know the technicalities of how to make it happen or how it works.

I have 2 different ISPs that I use... One is at home (my cable company) and the other is my mobile phone service provider. If I'm at home I use the cable network and if I'm on the road I use the mobile network.

Some questions...

1) Given that the ISP has an IP address, when I change an IP address, am I making it appear as if it's my ISP's IP address that's different? Or, does that IP address always stay the same and can never be changed?

2) If I can change my IP address, regardless of which ISP I use, can I make it always appear the same, so that no matter what ISP I use, it always looks like I'm using the same IP address?

3) If I change my IP address, can I control what address I use or is it assigned by the software I use to do it?

Thanks
Old 03-19-2011, 05:40 PM   #2
AboveTheLogic
Super Moderator

AboveTheLogic is a glorious beacon of lightAboveTheLogic is a glorious beacon of lightAboveTheLogic is a glorious beacon of lightAboveTheLogic is a glorious beacon of lightAboveTheLogic is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by td.software View Post
1) Given that the ISP has an IP address, when I change an IP address, am I making it appear as if it's my ISP's IP address that's different? Or, does that IP address always stay the same and can never be changed?
If you are manually changing your IP address on your ISP's network, you run the risk of conflicting with one of the ISP's other customers. In this case, though, your communications will likely appear to originate from the IP you set it to. Your ISP's IP, in the context you are using, I'm guessing would be your default gateway which probably remains the same, and likely appears as a hop during an IP trace- not as an originating IP. This is in most cases where you are not behind NAT or a proxy, such as with some cellular broadband or microwave wireless setups.

Quote:
2) If I can change my IP address, regardless of which ISP I use, can I make it always appear the same, so that no matter what ISP I use, it always looks like I'm using the same IP address?
At the very least, you need to be on the same subnet as your ISP's gateway, or you won't be getting out to the web. So, you can't take a non-private IP that works with one ISP and use it on another, it just won't work.

Quote:
3) If I change my IP address, can I control what address I use or is it assigned by the software I use to do it?
Are you referring to software that advertises itself as automatically changing your IP? Such software is simply routing your requests through proxy/VPN services. Your IP on your actual NIC that is getting through to the web via your ISP is not affected. Since these proxy/VPN services are likely on networks you don't control, you likely will not have any choice in which IP you will be grabbing.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:54 AM   #3
td.software

td.software is on a distinguished road

Thanks
Old 03-20-2011, 09:09 AM   #4
Shnerdly
• The †erminator

Shnerdly has disabled reputation

You could use a VPN or Proxy to send your emails through. That would slow things down a bit but could give the appearance that all emails are originating from the same place.

For example, setup a VPN on your home network and configure your mobile device to connect to it to send emails. Then all emails would show the IP of your home network.
Closed Thread