Go Back   WhatIsMyIP.com® Forum > Routers Routers Routers > Router Configuration Questions

Notices

Router Configuration Questions Any questions about configuring your router can be asked here.

Closed Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 12:16 AM   #1
own3mall

own3mall is on a distinguished road
Default SMC 8014 Cable Modem w/ Router -- MAC Cloning

We've upgraded our internet, and I've been forced to use an SMC 8014 cable modem with router by ComCast (you'd think they'd thank us for upgrading instead of punishing us), and I'm wondering if there's any way I can clone the mac address of the cable modem / router to get a new IP address. I have my wireless router connected to the new modem/wired router, and changing its mac address does nothing now that the modem and router are bridged in one. Unfortunately, the SMC 8014 business router seems to have few options. I've looked, and there are no settings in the interface that mention mac cloing.

Anyone know how to clone the SMC's 8014 mac address with the interface or without it?
Old 09-12-2010, 10:31 AM   #2
wimiadmin
Administrator

wimiadmin is a splendid one to beholdwimiadmin is a splendid one to beholdwimiadmin is a splendid one to beholdwimiadmin is a splendid one to beholdwimiadmin is a splendid one to beholdwimiadmin is a splendid one to beholdwimiadmin is a splendid one to behold

You may not be able to.

Does the upgraded account come with a static IP?

One method that may be possible is to put the SMC in 'bridge' mode and let the wireless router handle everything.....meaning comcast would see the wireless routers MAC and assign on that number....possibly.

Not sure how to put the SMC in bridge mode and if that option is even available.
Old 09-12-2010, 11:51 AM   #3
own3mall

I'll look into it, but this router lacks a lot of features. Not sure why anyone in the world would want to use it.

Maybe I'll ask SMC's technical support. You never know. It's worth a shot.
Old 09-12-2010, 02:17 PM   #4
AboveTheLogic
Super Moderator

AboveTheLogic is a glorious beacon of lightAboveTheLogic is a glorious beacon of lightAboveTheLogic is a glorious beacon of lightAboveTheLogic is a glorious beacon of lightAboveTheLogic is a glorious beacon of light

Recently, I was helping a colleague in South Carolina with a setup of his business connection using one of those modems. I looked up in the manual how to setup NAT and port forwarding, but was unable to do so on the device because it was password protected.

We called comcast tech support and they would not give us the password, stating that they only provide the device as a modem with no routing functionlity.

Although this scenario doesn't directly apply to what you are doing, you may run into a roadblock with MAC address changing that your ISP doesn't want you to get past, so keep it in the back of your mind.

You may need to purchase your own cable modem of a different brand that is compatible with your ISP's system to start playing with MAC addresses.

Honestly, I'm surprsied that changing your router's MAC does nothing. Is the router being assigned the external IP that you see on wimi.com? If not, turning on bridge mode like wimiadmin suggested might be the key.
Old 09-12-2010, 04:57 PM   #5
Shnerdly
• The †erminator

Shnerdly has disabled reputation

I found the generic manual here. Maybe the password in the document will work for you.

There are, in my opinion however, some security issues with having a Cable Modem and Router in the same package. You ISP has direct access to your Modem through their network. When your Router is in the same device as the Modem, it follows that they also have at least some access to you Router which is contrary to the point of the Router.

If the decision were mine to make, I would purchase my own Cable Modem and use a separate Router.

The new DOCSIS 3.0 modems have been available for a while now and are usually under $100 in the US. I have a preference for the Motorola SurfBoard Modems. The SB6120 is their DOCSIS 3.0 modem.

If your interested, DOCSIS 3.0 introduced a technology called channel bonding which currently bonds 4 channels together allowing your connection to work at the speed of 4 DOCSIS 2.0 connections. It's more detailed then that but most people tell me I get too technical so I'll leave it at that.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:32 PM   #6
own3mall

The password for comcast users is highspeed.

Login: cusadmin
Pass: highspeed

Login information was difficult for me to originally find as well.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do. Is there a particular reason they'd make us use the SMC 8014? Talk about having to set settings on two routers. Not fun for me.
Old 09-13-2010, 12:18 AM   #7
AboveTheLogic
Super Moderator

AboveTheLogic is a glorious beacon of lightAboveTheLogic is a glorious beacon of lightAboveTheLogic is a glorious beacon of lightAboveTheLogic is a glorious beacon of lightAboveTheLogic is a glorious beacon of light

Shnerdly, I'm with you 100%. I prefer to purchase my own modem AND router. If I can't do that, then I will insist on a unit that is either only a modem or will work in bridge mode. Hasn't been a problem yet.

own3mall, I found those credentials back when we were trying this, but they did not work
Old 09-14-2010, 11:27 AM   #8
Shnerdly
• The †erminator

Shnerdly has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by own3mall View Post
Is there a particular reason they'd make us use the SMC 8014?
Things may have changed recently but I have never known Comcast to "require" you to use their modem. If they provide the modem, the brand and model is their choice but if you choose to purchase your own modem the choice becomes yours as long as it's compatible with their network. Virtually any DOCSIS 2.0 or 3.0 modem should be compatible.
Old 09-20-2010, 02:46 AM   #9
own3mall

@AboveTheLogic,

Those credentials worked for me.

I purchased our old modem (bought from ebay same model), so we'll see if we can use it with our setup.

I'll keep you guys updated. Thanks for the help so far.
Closed Thread