Go Back   WhatIsMyIP.com® Forum > Routers Routers Routers > Router Configuration Questions

Notices

Router Configuration Questions Any questions about configuring your router can be asked here.

Closed Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 03:26 PM   #1
Froglet

Froglet is on a distinguished road
Default New DLINK router giving me LIMITED WIRELESS CONNECTIVITY.

Hi,

I used to have wireless connectivity on the old LINKSYS router, which ran on G. Recently, I bought a DLINK N ROUTER. However, I am having issues w/ getting the wireless connections for my laptops. The wired are okay though.

Establishing connection to the SSID takes a while, much slower than the previous LINKSYS, and when it does connect, there is a 'limited connectivity' icon on the wireless bars. Both the laptops can run N and have worked on the old LINKSYS setup. Both of my LAPTOPS are Windows 7s.

I have made sure the security types and keys are matching, but the DLINK router can't register the wireless clients. What am I doing wrong? I

I have even tried all various possibilities from WPA, w/ AES/TKIP cipher, but it just won't work. I believe I have even updated the DLINK firmware. Something just isn't working in sync, I suspect it is either my adapter drivers? or security setup. I want to go w/ WPA.

Could my IP be the issue? It's setup to dynamic, and auto DHCP. The desktops are working which is weird.

Thanks..
Old 11-29-2011, 11:39 PM   #2
Shnerdly
• The †erminator

Shnerdly has disabled reputation

Welcome to the forum Froglet.

If you are connecting with "Limited or No Connectivity", that means the Router and the computer are accepting the security protocols you have in place. The problem would be something in the DHCP, either with the server in the router or with the wireless adapters in the computers accepting an IP from the DHCP server.

If you go to - Start and type cmd in the box and hit enter, that will take you to a command prompt. Type ipconfig and hit enter to see you internal IP address. There will be several things listed there in Win7 so you need to find the one that references your wireless connection and see if it matches the same first 3 sets if numbers on your working desktops. Probably 192.168.1.??? or 192.168.2.???.

If not, you will need to make sure the computer is set to accept an address from the DHCP server.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:01 AM   #3
Froglet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shnerdly View Post
Welcome to the forum Froglet.

If you are connecting with "Limited or No Connectivity", that means the Router and the computer are accepting the security protocols you have in place. The problem would be something in the DHCP, either with the server in the router or with the wireless adapters in the computers accepting an IP from the DHCP server.

If you go to - Start and type cmd in the box and hit enter, that will take you to a command prompt. Type ipconfig and hit enter to see you internal IP address. There will be several things listed there in Win7 so you need to find the one that references your wireless connection and see if it matches the same first 3 sets if numbers on your working desktops. Probably 192.168.1.??? or 192.168.2.???.

If not, you will need to make sure the computer is set to accept an address from the DHCP server.
Hi,

Thank you for the reply. I noticed that I am only able to connect 2 computers to the router. At first, I thought my issue was the wireless setup, but it wasn't. Now that I am able to get the wireless up at the expense of the LAC, I am thinking the issue is the IP address.

However, I just find this odd since my setup on the LINKSYS was so easy and smoothe.

Do you know of a painless way for me to setup this network? We have 3 laptops, 2 desktops.

Thank you.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:06 AM   #4
Shnerdly
• The †erminator

You may just need to increase the number of computers the DHCP server allows to connect to the router. It will be listed in the DHCP area of the router. Most Linksys routers default to a 50 connection max. I can't speak to D-Link routers.

You should also know that the 802.11N wireless specification is still in draft meaning the standard is not yet complete. This can mean that some hardware devices may not play well with others. For example, an Intel Wifi controller may not work well with a D-Link router. That's just an example to illustrate a point.

Last edited by Shnerdly; 11-30-2011 at 12:10 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 11-30-2011, 12:36 AM   #5
Froglet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shnerdly View Post
You may just need to increase the number of computers the DHCP server allows to connect to the router. It will be listed in the DHCP area of the router. Most Linksys routers default to a 50 connection max. I can't speak to D-Link routers.

You should also know that the 802.11N wireless specification is still in draft meaning the standard is not yet complete. This can mean that some hardware devices may not play well with others. For example, an Intel Wifi controller may not work well with a D-Link router. That's just an example to illustrate a point.
Wow. Amazing! I just tweaked the range, from like x.x.x.100 to x.x.x.200 and it's working now!

Thank you!!!! There's a lot I'd like to do, like control certain websites from my kids, but it doesn't seem to work too well. The d-link screening doesn't seem to work.

I'm afraid to ask for too much. This was bothering me for a good ole 2 days, and my stupid self just couldn't figure out why.

Eventually, I feel like I'd want to learn more and assign IPs and have some security measures over it.

Btw, would my idle LINKSYS router be able to be setup as a repeater of some sort. =)
Old 11-30-2011, 10:58 AM   #6
Shnerdly
• The †erminator

There are some other options out there for routers that are much more comprehensive but they are also much more expensive or more difficult to use. I always and only us a computer with an open source OS called Untangle. The Lite version is free to use but there are paid addons. The free version has a lot to offer including ad blocking and website filtering. For wireless connectivity you would need to use a network switch and wireless access point. One of your current routers could be used as the switch and access point if it has enough RJ45 connections to work for you.

In theory, the Linksys router could be bridged with the D-Link but it may not work well because they are from different manufacturers.
Old 12-07-2011, 04:08 AM   #7
Froglet

How am I able to block WOW free server sights, or world of war craft related themes and what not?

I went into my router, put in the address, i.e. www.yahoo.com, but I was still able to go to the website.

What am I doing wrong?
Old 12-07-2011, 09:12 AM   #8
Shnerdly
• The †erminator

Where did you put it in your router?

If you added it to the firewall, That typically only blocks inbound traffic.

Also consider that WOW probably has several blocks of addresses to handle the volume of traffic they see.
Closed Thread