Go Back   WhatIsMyIP.comŽ Forum > IP and Network Questions > Networking Questions

Notices

Networking Questions Any questions about network setup, management, etc. should be posted here.

Closed Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 09:59 PM   #1
ron351

ron351 is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Security Camera DVR IP address help

New here, and searched a couple days looking for answers, finally stooped to ask because I couldn't find answers.
I have a modem, connected to a wired/wireless router with 4 wired ports and one wired port goes to a 8 port switch which gives me 11 wired connections.
I am running 3 laptops "wireless" 2 desktops "wired"
a PS3 "wireless" and DVR security camera "wired"
Now, how in the world can I find the DVR ip address?
In the router I see the MAC address but it don't show the IP address.
Only the usual 192.168.2.2 3 4 5 6 and so on.
I want to get the DVR so family can view the exterior of the house if they want, and the easiest I can think of is to open the port to the IP address and not the usual inside beind the router IP address.
Any suggestions for finding the IP address of the dvr would sure be appreciated. The one that is the real ip address like 230.23.23.34 or whatever.
I find it a big pain when it comes to making my dvr available outside in the net world.
Thanks,
Ron
Old 12-29-2009, 01:37 AM   #2
AboveTheLogic
Super Moderator

AboveTheLogic is a glorious beacon of lightAboveTheLogic is a glorious beacon of lightAboveTheLogic is a glorious beacon of lightAboveTheLogic is a glorious beacon of lightAboveTheLogic is a glorious beacon of light

Can you find a list of DHCP clients or LAN stats? That should have your used up IPs, at least with most routers.

Also, see if you can set a DHCP reservation so the DVR IP doesn't change--- even better set the IP info manually in the DVR.

Then you can do your port forwarding and get to it from the outside.
Old 12-29-2009, 02:15 AM   #3
wimiadmin
Administrator

wimiadmin is a splendid one to beholdwimiadmin is a splendid one to beholdwimiadmin is a splendid one to beholdwimiadmin is a splendid one to beholdwimiadmin is a splendid one to beholdwimiadmin is a splendid one to beholdwimiadmin is a splendid one to behold

The IP that you see on our homepage is your external IP and the IP you'll use to access the DVR from outside of your network.

To find the IP of your DVR, I'd like to add to the comments above. You should be able to hook a monitor to the DVR and access the admin/setup section where you can assign your DVR a static LAN IP address as Above mentions in his reply.

In the setup section of the DVR, you'll need to note the port(s) that the device uses. My DVR uses 2 ports that I had to forward to the DVR in order to be able to access it via a web browser from outside of my network.
Old 12-29-2009, 01:42 PM   #4
ron351

Default Security Camera DVR IP address help

Thanks Brian and abovethelogic for replies.
I can access both DVR and router, no problem there.
Heres what I get in my DVR that I can change.
DHCP on (Y)(N)
Get DNS automatically (Y)(N)
Get DIPS from DNS (Y)(N)
I can select no to all and change each manually.
The ones I change maually are:
DIPS
DNS
IP
Gateway

Now, in the router I can do this:
Under the firewall tab I have
Virtual Servers
Client IP Filters
MAC address filtering
DMZ
DDNS

Under the WAN tab I have this:
Connection Type
DNS
MAC Address (to cloneing)

Under LAN I have this
LAN settings
DHCP list (just lists the IP and MAC addresses)

I don't see anywhere in the DHCP to set a DHCP reservation, so that is out, it only lists them in use.
Now under firewall in DMZ it shows a static IP where I can assign a IP like 192.168.2.X

Now question is, if I can change the IP DNS DIPS stuff in the DVR how do I know the IP I assign it is not in use in the outside world?

Seems if I restart the DVR the ip changes, not sure if it every time, but it may change if other computers are logged off and shut down.
Thats why I am leary of using the 192.168.2.x as an IP address, because if it changes, then I can't view the DVR remotely.
Even if I selected to go outside the firewall using the DMZ tab, I may use the static IP there that shows but if I add the 192.168.2.x to that static IP address in the DMZ that may change and the static IP would be useless also wouldn't it?

The DVR shows it as using the 14332 port, so I assume I would also have to open a port up in the virtual server area or wouldn't I have to do that if I tried the static IP in the DMZ area?

Hope I am not making you lost here.
I just get so frustrated with the whole thing.
I am open to your suggestions and best solutions.
Ron
Old 12-29-2009, 02:16 PM   #5
wimiadmin
Administrator

wimiadmin is a splendid one to beholdwimiadmin is a splendid one to beholdwimiadmin is a splendid one to beholdwimiadmin is a splendid one to beholdwimiadmin is a splendid one to beholdwimiadmin is a splendid one to beholdwimiadmin is a splendid one to behold

Ok...easy solution. I think.

If the IP of your router on your LAN is 192.168.1.1 then me personally, I would want the DVR to be 192.168.1.2. So...if a computer on your LAN already has 192.168.1.2, just shut it down before assigning that IP to the DVR. When that computer boots back up, it'll grab a new IP from the router since it's the DHCP controller (it knows what IPs are in use even when they are statically assigned at the device). Another method would be to tell the router in DHCP mode to start the IP assignments at 192.168.1.11. This gives you 192.168.1.1 through 192.168.1.10 for your router, DVR, network printer, etc.

The outside IP address is assigned to you by our ISP...but you probably know that. No one else in the world can have that same IP address. The router and port forwarding allow you to 'extend' that IP address for many uses. Let's say your external IP address is 1.2.3.4. You can have 1.2.3.4:80 forward to one computer in your network for web hosting while still having 1.2.3.4:14332 going to your DVR and so on.

So...in your DVR setup, set DHCP to N, then assign the IP manually as indicated above. In your router, forward port 14332 to the IP you assign to the DVR and give it a go from outside of your network. For my particular DVR, I had to forward 2 ports to get mine to work, but both were listed on the setup page. Since you've only got one port listed, hopefully that'll be all you need to forward to get it up and running.

Another option would be to put the DVR's IP in the DMZ in the router, but that would open all ports to the DVR and could possibly cause harm to your network via an attack. I know it's gets frustrating at times, but opening your network to the outside world, even if it's only 1 port should be taken with caution. I'm sure we'll find a successful resolution for you. BTW, what is your router's make and model #?
Old 12-29-2009, 03:21 PM   #6
ron351

Thanks Brian,
I have a Belkin wireless N router
Model F5D8236-4 v1
Has 4 wired ports and wireless.
One wired port I have going to a 8 port switch.
One of the ports I have in the switch goes to the DVR.
Question, if I put the DVR on the first slot in the router will it always try to be assigned to the number 1 position as in 192.168.2.(1) even if the power goes out or does it matter which hardware boots up first that gets the number 1 position?

Now port forwarding is that set in the virtual server section under the firewall tab?
If so, it has a selection dropdown of TCP UDP or TCP/UDP both. Which is which or just select both?

Or, does the DYNDNS website do the port forwarding?
I tried that dyndns.org site and at 1 time was successful but not this time. If I recall, the dyndns site has a place to enter the IP address to use and if I put my ISP IP address in there, how would it know to go to the 14332 port in the DVR or the 192.168.2.1 behind the router to view the dvr?

I may be confusing myself more here.

I guess if the virtual server part is the port forwarding area, I will try that and put in the port 14332 the DVR puts out on, but wonder how my family will be able to access it?
Using my ISP IP address with the extension 14332
Like http://1.2.3.4:14332

The software that runs my DVR has connect to DVR in 3 ways.
Connect by DIPS
Connect by IP
Connect by MAC

Anyway if the virtual server is the port forwarding I will try playing with that and see.
Old 12-29-2009, 03:40 PM   #7
wimiadmin
Administrator

No problem. I just Googled your routers model number and found this...

http://portforward.com/english/route...8236-4/FTP.htm

I chose FTP as an example so the screenshots talk about port 21. Just substitute port 21 with your DVR's port of 14332.

For the DynDNS.org thing, that allows you to have something like myhome.dyndns.org and not to have to remember your IP address...especially if it changes. The DynDNS does NOT handle the port forwarding....all of that will be done in the Belkin.

None of the ports on the Belkin are associated with IP addresses....so port 1 does not automatically assign IP 1.

Looking at the port forwarding instructions from the link included in this reply you are correct that port forwarding is handled in the Virtual Servers area in the Belkins interface.

Once this is set up, you will access your DVR via http://1.2.3.4:14332 For me, my DVR only works in IE. The plugin required to install is not supported by other browsers....keep that in mind when trying to connect.

At the bottom of the port forwarding tutorial is a tool you can use to see if the outside world sees port 14332 open. That'll be a great help for you.
Old 12-29-2009, 03:54 PM   #8
ron351

Thanks Brian, I will play with it and read your find on the FTP part.
For my DVR I dont think it matters on any browser, it is a exe file that opens and I put in the IP and password to view it.
I wished mine worked with a browser so others could view it without me having to send them a exe file program to open and input the info to view my cameras.
I only wished they had a compatable program that I could put on my web site so people could look through my cameras or another way to view the cameras without the exe program.
I have 2 DVRs and both had different software to run them.
One a exe program and the other had a IP address that it opened up a web page within the cgi of the dvr.
That will be my next task is to try to go into the hard drive of the dvr and see if I can't get the file in the cgi and make it look better, not sure if that is possible yet or not, but should be an option.
I will let you know if I am jumping for joy later tonight.
Ron
Old 12-29-2009, 04:24 PM   #9
wimiadmin
Administrator

You could actually set up remote desktop on one of the computers in your LAN. Then people remote to that computer and from there they look at your cams. Up to you but that's another option. Then the exe file is only on the computer you set up for remote desktop. If you wanted to try that out, remote desktop (RDP) port is 3389. Depending on the OS you'll need to set up RDP. Very easy though.
Old 12-29-2009, 05:44 PM   #10
ron351

That would be a pain in a way also, they would still have to click on the exe file on my desktop.
I think there is only 1 way messing with this and that may be to go with the DIPS login which I believe routs to Japan and back to the software.
The ip address login I can do from within the network but it dont allow the entry for the port.
I can only enter it like 111.111.111.111 and not allow it to be entered as 111.111.111:14332 for the open port of 14332

I may have to look into something else.
My other DVR would be easier because it calls up the cgi-bin in the hard drive of the router and it is a web page but the viewer has to download a plugin and that may be a pain these days with Vista and their security garbage they have now.

But I really think I may have to just register it again in Japan and use the dips login they have.
This way all they need to do is put in my username and password.
They must do something with the MAC address to connect them through to the dvr.
I tried connecting to the dvr from the MAC address but no success.

I noticed in the router settings I seen IP addresses which must be from my ISP.
I tried connecting by using the IP address with the port number and actually 1 must of did something, the entire page was Japanese.

I am about to give up on this thing.
I been messing with it the entire day.
Wish I could just capture the cameras and transmit them to a web page on my web site.
Kind of like the way a webcam does.
I am pooped with it today.
Closed Thread