Go Back   WhatIsMyIP.comŽ Forum > IP and Network Questions > Networking Questions

Notices

Networking Questions Any questions about network setup, management, etc. should be posted here.

Closed Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 04:31 PM   #1
Kev

Kev is on a distinguished road
Post Implementing a network

Hi there,

I am a new student in IT and I'm kind of struggling with network implementation. here's the deal:

Me and my group have to implement a network between two building on the company's premises but I think after hours of work we don't really know where to start (1st year BscIT). The building specifications of each building are:
Building 1:
It has three floors.
Each floor has 50 users.
Each floor should have a server.
There should be Wi-Fi for at least 10 users on each floor.

Building 2:
It has four floors.
Each floor has 40 users.
Each floor should have a server.
There should be Wi-Fi for at least 10 users on each floor.

We started with a DHCP server but sadly we cannot find examples on the internet as for the IP addressing scheme, configuring routers that may suit this scenario or the physical topology of such.

I would be more than grateful if you could advise me and sharing some of your knowledge.
Old 08-17-2016, 04:45 PM   #2
wimiadmin
Administrator

wimiadmin is a splendid one to beholdwimiadmin is a splendid one to beholdwimiadmin is a splendid one to beholdwimiadmin is a splendid one to beholdwimiadmin is a splendid one to beholdwimiadmin is a splendid one to beholdwimiadmin is a splendid one to behold

Hi Kev,

This is a great scenario, thanks for posting.

We won't do your homework for you, but we'll certainly offer advice where we can help.

Building 1 would need a total of 183 available IP addresses. (50 users * 3 floors (150) + 3 servers (3) + 10 wifi per floor (30).

Building 2 would need a total of 204 avaialable IP addresses. (40 users * 4 floors (160) + 4 servers (4) + 10 wifi per floor (40).

This gives is a grand total of 387 IP address. This is well above the 255 IP addresses in a single range (192.168.1.x).

Here's where you should start. A single DHCP server can handle this many users. An example IP range would look like this:
Bldg 1 = 192.168.1.x
Bldg 2 = 192.168.2.x

The subnet would be 255.255.0.0 for each connection.

The gateway would most likely be 192.168.1.1 which would be that of your main DHCP server.

That should give you enough to start.

How will the building networks connect to each other? Will those devices need IP address or will a hard wire run between a potential network switch in Bldg 1 to a network switch in Bldg 2?

EDIT: My suggestion is only one way to satisfy the requirements. There are several different ways to accomplish the same.
Old 08-24-2016, 06:50 AM   #3
ThatNetworkGuy

ThatNetworkGuy is on a distinguished road
Default I am struggling with this too

Hi, I am also new to networking and REALLY struggling with is. In my case, we are suppose to use CISCO packet tracer. to be honest, I don't even know how to setup a router in the app, and Im really struggling. this is the full question just for the record:

As a newly appointed network administrator of ABC company, you have been asked to create a network between two buildings on the company’s premises. The following are the specifications of each building:
Building 1:
  •  It has three floors.
  •  Each floor has 50 users.
  •  Each floor should have a server.
  •  There should be Wi-Fi for at least 10 users on each floor.
  •  There should be a DHCP server for the entire network.
Building 2:
  •  It has four floors.
  •  Each floor has 40 users.
  •  Each floor should have a server.
  •  There should be Wi-Fi for at least 10 users on each floor.
  •  There should be a DHCP server for the entire network.

Note that not all the devices are provided. It is your responsibility to include all the required devices on the network. Since you are the expert you can improve on these specifications to provide a working and more reliable network. When creating the network, you should have redundancy and security in mind. Devices in both buildings must be able to communicate.
Old 08-24-2016, 05:16 PM   #4
wimiadmin
Administrator

wimiadmin is a splendid one to beholdwimiadmin is a splendid one to beholdwimiadmin is a splendid one to beholdwimiadmin is a splendid one to beholdwimiadmin is a splendid one to beholdwimiadmin is a splendid one to beholdwimiadmin is a splendid one to behold

ThatNetworkGuy, thanks for the additional information.

However, I'll say the exact same thing we said to Kev.

"We won't do your homework for you, but we'll certainly offer advice where we can help."

I feel what I have already provided should at least give you somewhat of a starting point that would hopefully lead you down the right rabbit hole to complete your assignment.
Old 09-11-2016, 03:26 PM   #5
Kev

Kev is on a distinguished road

Thanks wimiadmin for your help and sorry for the delay, but it really helped me
Closed Thread