Go Back   WhatIsMyIP.comŽ Forum > How do I... > Trace an e-mail

Notices

Trace an e-mail This will explain how to trace where an e-mail came from.

Closed Thread

Old 09-19-2016, 11:16 AM   #1
IoanaU

IoanaU is on a distinguished road
Default Finding out location from gmail adress

I have a question regarding the IP tracing. I know that it is possible to trace the IP from an email, but what if you don't have access to that email that was sent and you only know the sender address ID like [email protected]. Is then possible to find out the last, let's say, 10 IP used in sending emails? Since you don't know if there were anymore mail sent.
To be more exact, I suspect person A used person's B address to send person C an email, but you don't have access to any of the emails, neither B or C, even though you need to find out if A really used B's email.
Is it possible, please tell me?
Old 09-19-2016, 11:52 AM   #2
wimiadmin
Administrator

wimiadmin is a splendid one to beholdwimiadmin is a splendid one to beholdwimiadmin is a splendid one to beholdwimiadmin is a splendid one to beholdwimiadmin is a splendid one to beholdwimiadmin is a splendid one to beholdwimiadmin is a splendid one to behold

If you only know the senders email address, there's no way to tie that to an IP address. However, you can go to Google and enter the email address and see what other things might pop up like social media profiles, etc.

Also, if the sender used the gmail web interface to send the email, the only IP that will show is going to be an IP assigned to google and not to the user sending the email. However, if they sent the email from an email client like Outlook AND you can get the email header, then you may be able to grab and IP address.

https://www.whatismyip.com/how-to-tr...-mail-address/
Old 09-20-2016, 05:41 PM   #3
0siris
Super Moderator

0siris will become famous soon enough0siris will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to 0siris Send a message via AIM to 0siris Send a message via Yahoo to 0siris

If you can't access the original emails?

Nope. Can't be done. There's routing information in the original email's header (with some of the caveats that wimiadmin already mentioned). But that header information doesn't forward if the message is forwarded.

You need one of the original emails to even see that routing info.

Alternatively, if you can save the email in some format, then receive that as an attachment, you may see the header information.
undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
-Thomas Paine The Crisis Sep 12, 1777-
Closed Thread