Go Back   WhatIsMyIP.comŽ Forum > IP and Network Questions > General Questions

Notices

General Questions Any question that doesn't fit in another category...please ask it here.

Closed Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 01:45 AM   #1
Froglet

Froglet is on a distinguished road
Default New DLINK router keesp lagging, dropping, streaming sites don't work properly.

New DLINK router keesp lagging, dropping, streaming sites don't work.

I'm not sure what specs you folks need, but I'm not familiar w/ a lot of jargon, but I'll try my best.

We currently have about 4 computers/devices on the DLINK router. 2 land lines, the other 2 are wireless connections. We have generic internet settings, (auto config).

The biggest issue I'm having now is that sites like youtube will not stream and will lag. I've had this issue on both wireless and wire connections. I'm isolating the issue to the DLINK router.

More so, downloads from sites like megaupload never seem to get completed. It seems as if the router crashes and the download gets disrupted.

We also have one of those netflix box device on the network, which streams in movies from another country. I'm noticing issues w/ that as well.

I understand that if we run simultaneous devices, the bandwidth will be compromised, however it seems like there is some configuration I'm missing.

Should I manually assign IPs to all my devices? If so, will this be difficult? More so, I was reading something about port forwarding for our netflex box. The netflex like box has a 'proxy' setting of some sort.

Any ideas? I've updated the firmware and all that jazz.

So frustrated. The linksys never gave us this type of issue before.

-Thanks.
Old 12-28-2011, 02:52 PM   #2
jslobotski

jslobotski is on a distinguished road
Default Buy a new router

If you've isolated the issue to the router, rather than trying to configure all your devices to custom settings and potentially not having anything work properly, I would honestly go buy a new router. They are inexpensive and easily setup and if youtube doesn't stream properly assuming you have sufficient internet speeds, there's something wrong with the router itself or the firmware installed on the router.

I am in the technical support field and our website streams live auctions. I had a customer call in who was having similar problems viewing the live auctions and they were using a D-Link router. I was able to log into the router to adjust settings for troubleshooting and wasn't able to fix it. I'm one of those people who can't stand not knowing why it wouldn't work, but reading your post confirms my suspicions that it was the router itself. I hope this helps.
Old 12-29-2011, 12:45 PM   #3
wimiadmin
Administrator

wimiadmin is a splendid one to beholdwimiadmin is a splendid one to beholdwimiadmin is a splendid one to beholdwimiadmin is a splendid one to beholdwimiadmin is a splendid one to beholdwimiadmin is a splendid one to beholdwimiadmin is a splendid one to behold

I've used D-Link in the past and have had similar issues.

However, before you make the call 100% that it's the router, I would suggest disconnecting all but one computer and test the streaming. The computer you test from should be connected via a wired connection and be virus and malware free. A virus or malware on one computer can slow down your entire network.

If streaming is still slow, then it's most likely the D-Link as initially suspected.

In my opinion one of the best routers on the market is the Linksys WRT54GL. I've used these in situations where more than 10 users were connecting at once in a business atmosphere and using the net heavily while connected. These are rock solid and can handle firmware flashing like DD-WRT should you decide to explore the more advanced options of router management in the future.
Old 01-01-2012, 09:35 PM   #4
Froglet

Froglet is on a distinguished road

I"m not sure what it is, it seems like a hit or miss. Sometimes my downloads will complete, but more often than not, it wouldn't. I'm not sure how to explain this w/ jargon, but this was one of the new d-link routers.

This is a total mess. Would port forwarding or IP assign, or tinkering w/ the auto DHCP help in any way?
Old 01-01-2012, 10:39 PM   #5
jslobotski

jslobotski is on a distinguished road

As far as I am aware you shouldn't need to adjust anything with your DHCP or IP's as they should be set to "Auto" or "obtain automatically" and will release and renew on their own. It's difficult to tell what the real issue is. First you need to be sure what's really causing the problem here. Are you able to plug directly into your modem? See if your internet behaves as it should and if so, it's the more than likely the router. Also you may try contacting D-Link's support for further assistance. http://www.dlink.com/corporate/contact/
Old 01-02-2012, 07:38 PM   #6
DigitalDoc

DigitalDoc is on a distinguished road

I have found that sometimes if you have the Modem and the Routers on top of each other or very close to each other that it can cause interference and reduce your packets to a craw.. Separate them as far apart from each other and away from the computer..That should solve your problem..Post your results ok so we can help further..
Closed Thread