Go Back   WhatIsMyIP.comŽ Forum > IP and Network Questions > General Questions

Notices

General Questions Any question that doesn't fit in another category...please ask it here.

Closed Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 03:52 PM   #1
Madey

Madey is on a distinguished road
Default IP Address of FaceBook Messages

How do you determine the IP address of a FB user who has sent you a message?
Old 12-07-2009, 04:10 PM   #2
wimiadmin
Administrator

wimiadmin is a splendid one to beholdwimiadmin is a splendid one to beholdwimiadmin is a splendid one to beholdwimiadmin is a splendid one to beholdwimiadmin is a splendid one to beholdwimiadmin is a splendid one to beholdwimiadmin is a splendid one to behold

Good question. However, I don't think it's possible as long as the messages stay within the Facebook system. However, if they email you direct from their account, its quite possible you'll be able to get their IP....unless they're using Gmail.
Old 12-07-2009, 04:22 PM   #3
clanmills
Super Moderator

clanmills has a spectacular aura aboutclanmills has a spectacular aura aboutclanmills has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to clanmills Send a message via Skype™ to clanmills

Hi M

wimiadmin hase given the same answer that I thought about. If the message never left FaceBook, you'll probably have to contact FaceBook about the message. I'm fairly sure (but not certain) they will have a procedure to deal with this.

Robin
Old 12-07-2009, 04:43 PM   #4
Madey

Madey is on a distinguished road

Thanks, so if I contact FB or report the message they would be able to identify the source IP either directly (from when they were logged onto FB) or through the users e-mail IP?

What if the user is going through TOR or an IP rerouter, then what? Could someone still identify the source IP or ISP?
Old 12-07-2009, 05:28 PM   #5
wimiadmin
Administrator

wimiadmin is a splendid one to beholdwimiadmin is a splendid one to beholdwimiadmin is a splendid one to beholdwimiadmin is a splendid one to beholdwimiadmin is a splendid one to beholdwimiadmin is a splendid one to beholdwimiadmin is a splendid one to behold

It's possible. Just keep in mind that Facebook isn't going to just hand over an IP address just because.

But if you do get the IP then yes....you'll need to take that IP to the ISP along with a date a time. You'll need to act quickly because ISP's probably don't keep their log files very long. Plus I'm quite certain you'll need to get an attorney involved to get info from the ISP.

If the person is going through a proxy, you'll need to go to that proxy and get their log files.

Good luck.
Old 12-07-2009, 05:29 PM   #6
clanmills
Super Moderator

clanmills has a spectacular aura aboutclanmills has a spectacular aura aboutclanmills has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to clanmills Send a message via Skype™ to clanmills

M

Well, I can't say what message tracing service FaceBook will provide. For sure you'll have to justify the search. If the other person has used some cunning (for example, created a fictitious new facebook account from a public library) then this might not lead anywhere.

Maybe you could take this up with FaceBook and let us know what happens. I'm sure there are forum readers who would like to learn from your experience.

Robin
Closed Thread