Go Back   WhatIsMyIP.com® Forum > IP and Network Questions > IP Questions

Notices

IP Questions Post all of your general IP related questions here.

Closed Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 09:20 PM   #1
lynn

lynn is on a distinguished road
Default Wireless printer suddenly won't work

Hi
I'm on a mac running 10.5.8. I use a Linksys router for my wireless connection. All of the sudden I can't print. I'm wondering if the IP address for the printer changed or something? My husband had to unplug the router a few days ago because of a problem with his PC ... I'm wondering if the PC now has a new IP address or something because of that?

His PC is connected via USB and it works fine. My laptop is wireless and now won't work.

Any ideas?
Thanks,
Lynn
Old 11-13-2010, 10:48 PM   #2
0siris
Super Moderator

0siris will become famous soon enough0siris will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to 0siris Send a message via AIM to 0siris Send a message via Yahoo to 0siris

Probably changed the IP Address, I agree. Are you printing directly to the printer via its wireless, or is your husband sharing through his PC?
undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
-Thomas Paine The Crisis Sep 12, 1777-
Old 11-14-2010, 08:47 AM   #3
videoguy75

videoguy75 is on a distinguished road
Default "reserve" a static IP for the printer

In trying to resolve your other issues, your router has likely changed the IP address of your printer. But since your printer properties was automatically set to the original IP, as it searches, it cannot find the printer. Two solutions (of many possibilities):
1. To print NOW: go physically to your printer and print out its settings. Then go to devices and printers in control pannel and then to printer properities for your printers. Go to ports, and reconfigure the port to the IP address you now have.
2. Permanent FIX: To to your router settings. Find the DHCP settings. Find the setting for your printer. Reserve it or make it static unlike the automatic dynamic (changing) status it is in default.

This might sound complicated but really is not. Good luck.
Old 11-14-2010, 02:43 PM   #4
Shnerdly
• The †erminator

Shnerdly has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn View Post
His PC is connected via USB and it works fine. My laptop is wireless and now won't work.
I take this to mean that the printer is connected to the PC by USB which would mean the printer is being shared by the PC.

The PC's IP address probably changed. You should be able to look at the link on your Mac to see what the IP address was and set the PC statically to that address so it can't change again or you could simply remap the printer as it is currently shared and delete the old one. I'm afraid I'm severely Mac challenged so I can't advise on how to accomplish the remaping.

Last edited by Shnerdly; 11-14-2010 at 02:45 PM.
Closed Thread