Go Back   WhatIsMyIP.com® Forum > IP and Network Questions > IP Questions

Notices

IP Questions Post all of your general IP related questions here.

Closed Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 06:07 AM   #1
XANA
Inactive Member

XANA is on a distinguished road
Question Sometimes can't access this website, Why?

Hi,

Now, when I mean this website, I'm referring to WIMI and not another site.

I have a VPN connection that I use, and sometimes I can't access this site because it tells me my computer is 'infected'.

Except, it's not infected, it's never been infected either, and it's on all my computers which I have checked time and time again with various AVs (+ standalone programs).

This message doesn't just show up on my computers, but on all my devices connected to the same router (that my VPN runs off of).

Like my Wii, it shows up there too and I highly doubt any viruses of the usual sort actually exist for the Wii; and my Google TV device.

The VPN network (and hence my network, since we have DHCP enabled) uses the Google Public DNS servers so I don't think they're able to change DNS results to point somewhere else (but maybe they can).

So, is there any thing I can do?

Whenever the message comes up, it tells me to either A) fill in the verification code (which doesn't show up) or B) contact the website owner to temporarily whitelist me (but I am not looking to do that, I just want to find out what's going on).

Here is the image:

Part of it is cut off, so here is the cut-off text:

Why am I seeing this page?
This website is participating in a project to stop attacks and educate visitors with infected computers about how they can clean up their machines.

What should I do?
Make sure your anti-virus software is up to date and run a full scan.

When will this restriction go away?
This restriction will disappear when no more harmful behavior is detected. Completing the challenge above proves you are a human and gives you temporary access. You can ask the website owner to permanently whitelist you.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:05 AM   #2
Shnerdly
• The †erminator

Shnerdly has disabled reputation

It seems that you are using more of a proxy then a VPN. Every time you connect to our site, you have a different IP address. I can tell you that the IP you had in this post would have been rejected by all 4 of my webservers. The host is known to allow malicious proxy connections from Russia and Romania.

I suspect that the cloudflare servers are using something to detect and block known troublesome proxies. It could also be your ISP redirecting you for the same reasons.

Grammar is important. For instance, commas save lives:

Let's eat grandpa.

OR

Lets eat, grandpa.

Old 07-23-2012, 10:12 AM   #3
wimiadmin
Administrator

wimiadmin is a splendid one to beholdwimiadmin is a splendid one to beholdwimiadmin is a splendid one to beholdwimiadmin is a splendid one to beholdwimiadmin is a splendid one to beholdwimiadmin is a splendid one to beholdwimiadmin is a splendid one to behold

That's exactly right Shnerdly. Cloudflare tracks all IP addresses and puts them in to 'neighborhoods' then blocks or challenges visitors from those IPs.
Old 07-25-2012, 01:24 PM   #4
XANA
Inactive Member

Yes, HideIPVPN (my provider) does offer proxy connections, so I imagine that that has something to do with this.

However, this is only a sometimes ocurrance.
And this is only for this website; I haven't yet been blocked anywhere else (not even the forums I am a member of).

I am not configured for the proxy service, since I am using the L2TP protocol for the VPN connection (tried PTPP, but DD-WRT has problems with that implementation).
None of my computers are using the proxy nor any proxy.

I don't know what you mean by, "Every time you connect to our site, you have a different IP address".
I mean, I know what that means (as in a dynamic IP) but why do you say that?

My IP address from the VPN has only changed once (from one I can't remember to x.x.x.179).

However, the main problem is that I can't bypass the block temporarily by filling the CAPATCHA in because it doesn't show up and as far as I know I'm not running any blocking software (other CAPATCHAs on other sites come up just fine).

Of course on the bottom corner I can see my IP (but it's cut off in the picture).

I had thought that usage of their proxy followed the same usage as the VPN servers, namely username and password required.

I guess not, if you say that 'malicious proxy connections' (whatever those are) from Russia et al can come through HideIPVPN.

Anyways, this wouldn't be so much of a problem if I could only see the CAPATCHA that it wants to me to fill in to get temporary access.
Old 07-25-2012, 02:28 PM   #5
wimiadmin
Administrator

wimiadmin is a splendid one to beholdwimiadmin is a splendid one to beholdwimiadmin is a splendid one to beholdwimiadmin is a splendid one to beholdwimiadmin is a splendid one to beholdwimiadmin is a splendid one to beholdwimiadmin is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by XANA View Post
Anyways, this wouldn't be so much of a problem if I could only see the CAPATCHA that it wants to me to fill in to get temporary access.
Have you tried using a different browser? Your screenshot shows Opera. Try using Firefox or Chrome to see if you get the block message and if the CAPTCHA can be seen in those browsers.

If not, let me know and I can send this info to CloudFlare to see what they can get worked out.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:42 PM   #6
XANA
Inactive Member

Unhappy

As you can see, it happens in Firefox too.

I can't get Chrome to work reliably enough on this computer to test there. It takes too much memory and crashes most of the time I try to use it.

Image:
Old 07-25-2012, 04:03 PM   #7
wimiadmin
Administrator

Chrome takes too much memory? Have you seen the amount of items you have running in the background indicated by the taskbar?

Thanks for the screenshot. I'll let the folks at CloudFlare know.
Old 07-25-2012, 04:50 PM   #8
Shnerdly
• The †erminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by XANA View Post
I don't know what you mean by, "Every time you connect to our site, you have a different IP address".
I mean, I know what that means (as in a dynamic IP) but why do you say that?

My IP address from the VPN has only changed once (from one I can't remember to x.x.x.179).
I just looked at a few of your posts originally and it happened that you had 3 different IP in the three that I looked at. In all, in 17 posts you have used 6 IP address, 4 of those IP addresses were used in the last 5 months and they range in areas such as Illinois, Texas, Pennsylvania, Ohio, New York and Norway.

On to your current problem: Are you using a hosts file or a service like Ad Blocker. If so, they may be blocking the source of the CAPTCHA.

You are clearly interested in personal privacy and security so I would recommend avoiding Chrome. It only makes sense that the developer of Chrome, Google, would have tracking built in to the browser that could even overide the security of a proxy or VPN. After all, they make their money by selling information. Why wouldn't they build tracking into a "free" software package?

Let's eat grandpa.

OR

Lets eat, grandpa.

Last edited by Shnerdly; 07-25-2012 at 04:56 PM.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:26 PM   #9
XANA
Inactive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shnerdly View Post
I just looked at a few of your posts originally and it happened that you had 3 different IP in the three that I looked at. In all, in 17 posts you have used 6 IP address, 4 of those IP addresses were used in the last 5 months and they range in areas such as Illinois, Texas, Pennsylvania, Ohio, New York and Norway.

On to your current problem: Are you using a hosts file or a service like Ad Blocker. If so, they may be blocking the source of the CAPTCHA.

You are clearly interested in personal privacy and security so I would recommend avoiding Chrome. It only makes sense that the developer of Chrome, Google, would have tracking built in to the browser that could even overide the security of a proxy or VPN. After all, they make their money by selling information. Why wouldn't they build tracking into a "free" software package?
Not using a hosts file; Mine is the Windows default.
I was using an adblocker, but only on Opera.

I disabled it and nothing changed.

The page also appears in that exact way no matter what I browse from. It does that on my Wii (for which there is no ad-blocker possible) and basically any device wirelessly connected to the router (and/or plugged in through Ethernet).

Quote:
Chrome takes too much memory? Have you seen the amount of items you have running in the background indicated by the taskbar?
Maybe....
But it does! If you customize Chrome with a bunch of useful add-ons it will.

So, I avoid Chrome on my normal computers; but do use it on my Logitech Revue, since it's the only option and on my Chromebook for the same reason.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:31 PM   #10
XANA
Inactive Member

Question

Quote:
I am so very sorry for double posting.
I can't edit my posts.

I wanted to say, where are you seeing all these other addresses?
I know you can see them and I can't, but what I mean is when I go to any site that is like WIMI (or Callcentric who also reports my connecting IP), it always has the same address every time.

Except of course for the one time I said it changed and I noticed, but after that it's always been the same for me.
Is whatever the forum uses more accurate than any of these sites?
Old 07-25-2012, 09:48 PM   #11
Shnerdly
• The †erminator

I don't recall without looking them up again but the IP's were from the areas I indicated earlier through hosts like suddenlink, opera-mini and a mobile carrier I don't recall. The current one is ubiquity.

If you would like, I can look them up again and PM you the results. For your privacy, I wouldn't want to post them on the site.

Let's eat grandpa.

OR

Lets eat, grandpa.

Old 07-26-2012, 01:08 AM   #12
XANA
Inactive Member

Cool

Quote:
If you would like, I can look them up again and PM you the results.
I don't think you can, since I disabled private messaging.
Anyway, I know those addresses (I mean, the ISPs behind them), so I don't think it's necessary.

Yeah, I change locations frequently (especially during summer months).

I was thinking that, somehow, you were seeing different VPN addresses for me (or other ISPs different than the ones I most frequently access).
I have access to 4 servers, but I use this one most frequently since it's the closest to my VoIP provider.

I only saw my address change once (and when it does my VoIP phone stops working until I program the new IP in to it), but from what you were saying it sounded like my IP was changing more frequently than was being reported to me.

The other servers (i.e. the non-Ubiquity ISPs), I use those on other devices, so I never switch servers (and therefore IPs) - so I was confused by what you were saying.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:12 AM   #13
XANA
Inactive Member

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimiadmin View Post
Thanks for the screenshot. I'll let the folks at CloudFlare know.
You or CloudFlare might have already figured this out by now, but I have discovered (what I believe to be) the cause.

Google reports 403 Forbidden for this URL:
http://www.google.com/recaptcha/api/...dJQZdQcu6VFqog

It's the only URL on the entire page (meaning WIMI, whenever this comes up) that reports any kind of error at all.

Opera's 'Inspect Element' option helped me to see this.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:34 AM   #14
wimiadmin
Administrator

I heard from CloudFlare yesterday and you're getting the challenge because of the VPN you are using.

And yes, they use the re-CAPTCHA so the 403 from Google would explain why you're not seeing the image. Good find.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:37 AM   #15
XANA
Inactive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimiadmin View Post
I heard from CloudFlare yesterday and you're getting the challenge because of the VPN you are using.

And yes, they use the re-CAPTCHA so the 403 from Google would explain why you're not seeing the image. Good find.
Okay.

Well, when I browse to the page (the Google CAPATCHA page I linked to) from a less secure connection (non-VPN), I get error 404 (Not Found).

So I would imagine even if I'm not being blocked by Google (which I surmise the error 403 Forbidden means) I still wouldn't be able to see the CAPATCHA.

But all this is just a thought. I don't know if the Google CAPATCHA page changes links often or now.
Closed Thread