Go Back   WhatIsMyIP.com® Forum > IP and Network Questions > IP Questions

Notices

IP Questions Post all of your general IP related questions here.

Closed Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 01:25 PM   #1
flipper33

flipper33 is on a distinguished road
Angry db power ip camera problems.

hi, i recently brought a db power ip camera which i`m having trouble setting up and getting it to work at all, my setup is as follows, i have a standard virginmedia box connected to a belkin 54g wireless router, rubbish but it does work just, i also have a tablet that also connects to the wireless router so i know the wireless side works, i`ve connected the camera and plugged it into the wireless router, i`ve loaded something called ipcmonitor and also have bseries intranet search and services running, after clicking on search and tying in my user name and password, i click on browse and firefox states it is unable to connect, i type in 192.168.0.178 into internet explorer and after quite a wait i get a bing page explaining about ip numbers, thanks bing, i try typing the ip into my computer search bar, and it trys to open in firefox which can`t connect, i know nothing about port forwarding so belkin is running on standard settings, the infra red lights on the camera light up so power is reaching the cam, the instructions that came on the cd are not very helpful, there great if things go right but not so good when things don`t, also i typed the ddns into ie and it returned a white screen saying my account is closed, is there a missing step or something i should have done to get this working, i`ve tried emailing dp but after 2 days i still have no reply, can you help me please.
Old 07-27-2012, 03:21 PM   #2
Shnerdly
• The †erminator

Shnerdly has disabled reputation

Welcome to the forum flipper33.

I suspect your problem is a port issue.

Did you acquire this camera NEW or was it a used one??

Quote:
i`ve loaded something called ipcmonitor and also have bseries intranet search and services running, after clicking on search and tying in my user name and password, i click on browse and firefox states it is unable to connect, i type in 192.168.0.178 into internet explorer and after quite a wait i get a bing page explaining about ip numbers
Is ipcmonitor the program that came with the camera. If so, when you run it does it find the camera at all?

I don't know what bseries intranet search and services is.

Where did you get the 192.168.0.178 IP address from?

Is your tablet IP on the same subnet when your connected to the Belkin Router?? ie. 192.168.0.??

Grammar is important. For instance, commas save lives:

Let's eat grandpa.

OR

Lets eat, grandpa.

Old 07-27-2012, 06:18 PM   #3
flipper33

ipcmonitor is a program that was on the cd i got with the camera, bseries intranet search and services is a program that told me what ip the camera uses, it is also suppose to connect to the net so you can view the camera, while it does connect it is not able to view anything and i just keep getting the error messages, the camera was new when i brought it and i`ve only had it a short time, but it is a cheap camera brought from a shop that gets it supplies from china, the tablet is irrevelent i only mensioned it to show the wireless router works wirelessly, but i can`t get the camera to work even thru the ethernet cable, the bseries software did tell me the camera uses port 80, but nothing i tried got a picture from it, i even tried bypassing the router and plugged the camera directly into the ethernet socket, and still got the same error message, i guess that was hopeing for too much.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:32 PM   #4
Shnerdly
• The †erminator

I believe the camera was manufactured by Apexis. I have worked with a few of them.

When you ran the bseries intranet software, did it identify the IP address of the camera??
Is that where the 192.168.0.178 IP address came from?

The IP address of the tablet is relevant for determining if the camera is on the correct subnet for you to access it if the software finds it.

As far as using their software to access the camera from the internet, you don't want to do that. It will be channeling your video feed through their servers giving them and others access to the feed.

All you need their software for is to determine the IP address and port number the camera is using. Once accessed, you can make the configuration changes through the web interface at the IP address of the camera.

Let's eat grandpa.

OR

Lets eat, grandpa.

Old 07-28-2012, 12:37 AM   #5
flipper33

yes i did use the bseries to id the address and port number, if for any reason i got the wrong ip address is there something else i can use to find out the ip the camera is working on.
Old 07-28-2012, 10:39 AM   #6
Shnerdly
• The †erminator

Check it again and be sure to look at the port number. You should be able to access the camera through your browser at the IP address with :<port> following the IP. If it's port 80, you don't need to add the port number, any other port you do.

Here is a link to the Apexis software and user guide if you want to try it. This is for the indoor camera with pan and tilt.

You still haven't verified the IP of your tablet or some other device connected to your router that IS working so we know we are on the correct subnet.

Let's eat grandpa.

OR

Lets eat, grandpa.

Old 07-29-2012, 03:06 AM   #7
flipper33

i don`t have the tablet anymore a firmware upgrade messed it up and i didn`t need it any more so i got rid of it, i don`t get what you mean by subnet, the router works because the tablet did connect to the internet thru it, and i have a laptop that also connects to the internet thru it, is it possible to connect the camera directly to my pc to test it works properly, because i don`t trust my wireless router and i would like to see this thing working before i send it back, i don`t wanna send it back and they tell me it`s fine.
Old 07-29-2012, 09:41 AM   #8
Shnerdly
• The †erminator

The camera will be more difficult to setup connected directly to the computer because it won't be able to get an IP address plus you will probably need a crossover ethernet cable.

In your first post you said "i`ve connected the camera and plugged it into the wireless router". I take that to mean that the camera is hardwired to the router, not connected wirelessly. Is this correct? It's usually easier to get a camera working on a wired connection and then setup the wireless through the browser interface.

The subnet is the local IP addresses you use. They are usually assigned by the router. Without complicating things with the subnet mask, I will simply say that if your camera IP is 192.168.0.178 and your computer is on 192.168.1.100, you won't be able to see the camera. In normal home networks the subnet is 192.168.0. or 192.168.1. or 192.168.2. or 192.168.5. If the two devices (Computer and Camera) are not on the same subnet, they will not be able to communicate with each other.

It doesn't matter if it's a tablet or a computer, whatever your using to try to view the camera from inside your network must be on the same subnet as the camera. You need to get it working inside the house before you will be able to share it on the Internet.

You can try this batch file to discover your computers IP address if it's a PC. It won't work on a Mac and doesn't always report correctly on Win7 and Vista. You can just run it or download and run it.

Let's eat grandpa.

OR

Lets eat, grandpa.

Old 08-04-2012, 12:12 PM   #9
flipper33

thanks for all your help with thhis problem but i`ve got a new different router and the camera works fine on that, so i`m guessing it work an issue with the belkins router, i`ve been told there not very good, problem now sorted but thanks for trying.
Old 08-04-2012, 01:06 PM   #10
Shnerdly
• The †erminator

Thanks for taking the time to post the solution.

Let's eat grandpa.

OR

Lets eat, grandpa.

Old 08-21-2012, 06:30 AM   #11
skingraft44

skingraft44 is on a distinguished road
Default db-power camera

Can you help?. My step daughter bought one of these cameras and cannot get it to work. Even i cannot, we load the disk connect the leads but when we try to browse the page wont load, the website for db-power seems to be down all the time and i cannot get any help!! can you? please.
Old 08-23-2012, 03:42 PM   #12
wimiadmin
Administrator

wimiadmin is a splendid one to beholdwimiadmin is a splendid one to beholdwimiadmin is a splendid one to beholdwimiadmin is a splendid one to beholdwimiadmin is a splendid one to beholdwimiadmin is a splendid one to beholdwimiadmin is a splendid one to behold

This looks like a good place to start. Although it's a review, they do go through the connection process.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFh6YGgr0mA
Closed Thread