Go Back   WhatIsMyIP.comŽ Forum > IP and Network Questions > IP Questions

Notices

IP Questions Post all of your general IP related questions here.

Closed Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 03:33 AM   #1
mcnally

mcnally is on a distinguished road
Default Can't Get IP No Internet Connection

Hi, recently my internet connection has fail to work on my desktop computer but when I connect the connection onto my laptop it runs fine. I've established that it's not the NIC but I don't know if it is corrupted or not. When I run cmd and type "ipconfig" it says there's an internal error. Bascially I can't get an IP address on my desktop but I can on my laptop so I'm confused. To my knowledge I haven't change drivers or updated anything on my computer since the internet stopped working. So, any suggestions or fixes would be widely appreciated.
Old 01-18-2009, 03:45 AM   #2
wimiadmin
Administrator

wimiadmin is a splendid one to beholdwimiadmin is a splendid one to beholdwimiadmin is a splendid one to beholdwimiadmin is a splendid one to beholdwimiadmin is a splendid one to beholdwimiadmin is a splendid one to beholdwimiadmin is a splendid one to behold

On your desktop go to a command window and ping 127.0.0.1

If you don't get a reply, TCP/IP needs to be reinstalled.

If you do get a reply, make sure TCP/IP is set to DHCP and no IP is hard coded.

If you do an ipconfig /all do you get a 169.x.x.x address? If so, that's a fake IP. Windows machines assign themselves a 169 address when they can't reach the DHCP server.

If your router is the one doing the IP assigning, make sure DHCP is enabled with more than 1 IP address open for assignment. In other words, if you're only letting your router assign 1 IP and your laptop got it, then your desktop can't get an IP. Or, if your wireless router is set to assign 5 IPs and your laptop has 1 and your sneaky neighbors have the other 4, then your desktop can't get an IP.

Is the desktop wired to the router?

Make sure the cables are plugged in and you get lights on the NIC and the router.

Test using a different cable.

If none of these things work, let us know and we'll see what else we can think of.
Old 01-18-2009, 04:16 AM   #3
mcnally

Ok so I've tried all your suggestions. I typed ping 127.0.0.1 in cmd and I get this: "Unable to contact IP driver, error code 2"
I've already uninstalled and reinstalled the NIC driver so I don't understand that. No updates were available and I can't rollback to a previous setting because there isn't one.

Even though I didn't get a reply I check my TCP/IP and it said that DHCP was enabled so you don't have to worry about that. However, I don't have the option to uninstall TCP/IP, only to Install... or Properties so I don't know what to tell you there.

I'm doing all of the connections right now through my modem directly, not through a router. All I do to switch computers is to disconnect one from the modem and put the ethernet cord into the other. No biggy.

I've got activity lights, power lights andonline lights up the wazoo on the modem and I've tested a different cable even though the same cable that doesn't work for my desktop works for my laptop.

I've got no clue about this but thanks for the speedy reply! You've got your work cut out for you.

PS The internet connection stopped working when I went away with my laptop. I don't know if that has any significance at all but I just thought I should let you guys know everything.
Old 01-18-2009, 12:54 PM   #4
wimiadmin
Administrator

wimiadmin is a splendid one to beholdwimiadmin is a splendid one to beholdwimiadmin is a splendid one to beholdwimiadmin is a splendid one to beholdwimiadmin is a splendid one to beholdwimiadmin is a splendid one to beholdwimiadmin is a splendid one to behold

Since you didn't get a reply when you did a ping on 127.0.0.1, your TCP/IP protocol may be corrupt.

Please follow the steps outlined here to reset your TCP/IP and afterwards, ping 127.0.0.1 and see what the results are.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357

Once we get a positive ping result from 127.0.0.1, I'll bet your connection works again as it did previously.

BTW, the instructions in the link above are for Windows XP. If you need an alternate set of instructions (ie. Vista, 2k3, etc.) just Google the phrase reinstall TCP/IP and go from there.
Old 01-18-2009, 03:02 PM   #5
mcnally

No luck on the reset it doesn't work. I still get the same error text when I try to ping 127.0.0.1. I'm going to give system restore a try since that's my best bet right now, deleting anything my brother may have downloaded before the internet went bonkers.

I'll tell you how it goes.
Old 01-18-2009, 04:25 PM   #6
mcnally

Problem solved.

Solution: System Restore to one week ago (previous to internet malfunction) which got the internet working while directly connected through ethernet cable but not while going through wireless router for my laptop. I went to the router website on my desktop, Cloned MAC Address and it worked.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions, now I don't have to pay my Dad's friend to come and mess around on our computer.

Cheers
Old 01-18-2009, 05:26 PM   #7
wimiadmin
Administrator

That's great!

Glad you got it working.

Thanks for updating us.
Closed Thread